read_connect(); //$GLOBALS[ezoic_db]->read->query("use 17things"); ?>

Can you claim back bank charges if you account has been closed by the bank?

I had an argument with my bank and they want to close my account. Can I still claim back my bank penalty charges?

Related Items

6 Responses to “Can you claim back bank charges if you account has been closed by the bank?”

  1. said :

    Yes you can. I got £1,064 from HSBC. They closed my account in december 2006 and sent me to court. However, at the mo, no-one is getting their bank charges back because the banks are going to court. If they win, you wont ever get it back.

  2. cracker jack said :

    yes you can, but i would go and open another account somewhere quickly to cover your own back if they do intend to close it.

  3. bibsian said :

    yes and you should start your claim now

    like the other guy says the banks are going to court , but they are just playing for time , there have already been cases of people taking then to court who have won

    there some good template letters to get you started at

    all the best

  4. claimbankchargesback said :

    Yes you can do, there is no problem claiming on a closed bank account.

    However, at the moment all bank charge claims are on hold, pending a test case being brought to the high court by the OFT to decide once and for all if bank charges are unlawful.

    The case is scheduled to start at the end of jan 2008, and is expected to last a year. If the OFT win it will be much quicker and easier for everyone to claim their bank charges back, whereas if the banks win it will be the end of bank charge claims.

    Its a good idea to start your claim now if you want to claim, as this locks the date you can claim back to at September 2001. All you need to do is to write a letter to the bank asking for your charges back, and send it to the banks head office by recorded delivery. The bank have to log your claim and acknowledge within 5 days.

    Your claim will then be put on hold until the results of the test case. If the OFT win then your claim will be dealt with quickly as its already in the system. If the banks win then nothing further will happen.

    For more details about the current situation and claiming have a look at my site below, which also gives you the template letter you need to send to the bank, as well as the banks head office addresses.

    The site is free to use!

  5. stormydays said :


    You can reclaim (or at least try to) for any penalty charges for the past 6 years. Irrelevant if the account is opened or closed.

  6. Krista Schutjer said :

    Thx for your post, I really enjoy your blog. Long time lurker, first time commenter, you know the drill. I tried to share this one time before, I don’t think it posted correctly…hopefully it will this time!


[newtagclound int=0]


Recent Comments

Recent Posts