read_connect(); //$GLOBALS[ezoic_db]->read->query("use 17things"); ?>

Where do I go for help with my finance planning?

Looking for the best place for advice on my short term and long term finance planning.

Related Items

6 Responses to “Where do I go for help with my finance planning?”

  1. I Buy And Sell Houses said :

    You want the best place? The best place is to become self-educated. Go to your local bookstore or Amazon. Buy 3 or 4 general books on financial planning. Look for highly-rated best-sellers, and include at least 2 of those in your 4 books.

    Then read each book at least twice.

    In addition, subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. There are some economical subscription packages. The Wall Street Journal has increasingly focused on individual needs and interests; besides, it’s interesting and well-written.

    That should give you a basic grounding on financial planning. It’ll also help you determine what areas you need to learn more about.

    Then–and only then–look to others for advice. That way, you’ll have some idea whether the advice you’re getting is good, and whether it matches up with your needs and comfort level.

  2. oldgirlINDY said :

    Find a good financial planner. This is not necessarily a planner at a large institution. Find someone that you are comfortable with. Someone that you can trust and understands your goals. Interview more than one. Actually set up an appointment with three or four and choose the one that best suits your needs.

    I agree somewhat with the first answer but if you do not have time for this a good person handling your investments will help you learn. That said, there is nothing wrong with a little self education. Reading a few books on investments and yes even subscribing to a good investment newspaper.

    Good luck!

  3. David M said :

    I buy houses is correct. The best financial planner is yourself. Read a few books. Learn how to make and keep to a budget. Learn what to do with your savings. Understand what you can afford and what you can’t. Invest at your risk tolerance not your financial advisor’s. And save some money on fees at the end.

  4. snvffy said :

    My best advice is to learn how to understand money and the traditional role it plays in all our lives. Then a perspective on how money affects our relationships with others. This information, plus learning and doing a monthly budget IN ADVANCE are great tools in managing money and financial planning.

    Dave Ramsey’s book The Total Money Makeover changed how I look at money, plus reveals to you that your GREATEST wealth building asset is your paycheck. By avoiding the costly mistakes of always having car and other payments, you can build wealth and live better.

    Good Luck

  5. Carl M said :

    If you are looking for a simple and free method of managing your money try this site:

    Input your income and regular outgoing details and use the inbuilt feature to mark them off as and when you receive/pay them. Also use the spending record feature to keep track of your spending.

  6. Steven B said :

    Assume you’re in the UK?

    I think it’s all very well suggesting that you should read a number of books, self-educate, re-read books etc, but what if you don’t have the time or the inclination?

    People in general are more financially astute than ever before, but you’d be surprised the number of people that I come across that literally don’t have a clue.

    If you don’t have the time or inclination to self-educate, you can contact a number of people, depending on your requirements;

    eg. for debt counselling, contact Citizens’ Advice, or Nationaldebtline. Don’t pay fees to a company offering to ‘consolidate your debts into one easy payment’ – waste of time and your money.

    If you want generic financial planning advice, then I suggest using a financial adviser. There are different types in the UK; tied, multi-tied and independent. Personally I wouldn’t see a tied advisor. There are some very good ones, but they are restricted with their product choice and the areas that they can advise on. Multi-tied advisors serve a purpose if you work in a specific occupation and the advisor specialises in that area e.g. public sector employees, NHS pension scheme etc. Otherwise, see an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA).

    IFAs will give you the choice of being remunerated by paying them a fee or working on commission, or a combination of the two (a Whole of Market advisor can broadly-speaking advice on the same products but works on commission only).

    The best IFAs work on a referral basis only. Ask your friends, family or colleagues for a referral.

    In the same way that there are good and bad doctors, builders and teachers, there are good and bad advisors. It is advisable to apply a degree of common sense and read up as much as you can on different types of savings and investments, pensions, mortgages and insurances – have a look at which is produced by the Financial Services Authority.


[newtagclound int=0]


Recent Comments

Recent Posts